- Ca. 1824
- National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
- 54.5 x 43.5 cm
- Técnica y soporte
- Oil on canvas
- Reconocimiento de la autoría de Goya
- Undisputed work
- National Gallery of Ireland
- Ficha: realización/revisión
- 07 Apr 2010 / 14 Apr 2021
This portrait was painted in Bordeaux.
It formed part of the collection of the historian Aureliano de Beruete, in Madrid. It was later in the Dannant collection, in Paris, and returned to Madrid in the possession of the Marquis of La Vega Inclán. It was acquired by the National Gallery of Ireland in 1905.
The unidentified sitter appears to have belonged to Goya's circle of friends in Bordeaux, as the playful pose in which the artist has represented her indicates. The half-length portrait shows her turning to the left but with her head turned towards the viewer. She wears a black dress, black mantilla and ornamental comb. The sketchy technique and the glazes that the artist used can be seen in the area of the neckline, where the skin is revealed. The lace frames the happy smiling face of the model and her rosy cheeks. The neutral background is made up of a flatly applied grey, the same colour Goya used for the details on the mantilla.
GoyaMinistry of Foreing AffairsBurdeos1951organized by the Bordeaux City Hall, consultant editor Gilberte Martin-Méry. From May 16th to June 30th 1951cat. 2
GoyaPrado National MuseumMadrid1951July 1951cat. 27
GoyaMusée Jacquemart-AndréParís1961consultant editor Jean-Gabriel Domergue. From December 1961 to February 1962cat. 91
Goya and his timesThe Royal Academy of ArtsLondon1963cat. 66cat. 117
Goya y Moratín [En Burdeos, 1824 – 1828]Museo de Bellas Artes de BilbaoBilbao1998consultant editor Françoise Garcíacat. 3
L'œuvre peint de Goya. 4 volsParís1928-1950vol. II, p. 233, cat. 524
Vie et ouvre de Francisco de GoyaParísOffice du livre1970pp. 298, 377, cat. 1564
vol. I, p. 382, cat. 722
L’opera pittorica completa di GoyaMilanRizzoli1974p. 132, cat. 618
Francisco de Goya, 4 vols.ZaragozaCaja de Ahorros de Zaragoza, Aragón y Rioja1980-1982vol. IV, p. 189 y p. 288 (il.)