- The Paul J. Getty Museum, Los Angeles, United States
- 212 x 125 cm
- Técnica y soporte
- Oil on canvas
- Reconocimiento de la autoría de Goya
- Documented work
- The J. Paul Getty Museum
- Ficha: realización/revisión
- 17 Mar 2010 / 14 Apr 2021
La Marquesa de / Sn Tiago Goya 1809 ("The Marchioness of Santiago, Goya, 1809").
This work came from the collection of the Duke of Tamames, Madrid.
Doña María de la Soledad Fernández de los Ríos held the title of IV Marchioness of Santiago. She married the Marquis of San Adrián, whom Goya also painted.
She appears here outdoors, in a natural landscape in which we can see hills and some houses in the distance. She is wearing a black, long-sleeved dress. Her head is covered with a white mantilla leaving part of her hair, adorned with some flowers, uncovered. She is also wearing silk stockings and golden shoes. Her right hand rests upon her waist, whilst in the left she holds a fan. The portrait's light source, coming from the left, falls on the lady's torso and lights up her face and the long mantilla. Her somewhat plain face appears slightly absent and tired.
As Gudiol points out, this portrait belongs to a genre in which we can see a certain deformation, not of the figure itself, but rather of the technique used, with preference given to certain effects and details whilst others are downplayed.
Goya. La imagen de la mujerMuseo Nacional del PradoMadrid2001from October 30th 2001 to February 10th 2002. Exhibitied also at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, March 10th to June 2nd 2002, consultant editor Francisco Calvo Serrallercat. 69
L'œuvre peint de Goya. 4 volsParís1928-1950p. 220, cat. 509
Vie et ouvre de Francisco de GoyaParísOffice du livre1970p. 261, cat. 879
vol. I, p. 341, cat. 549
Francisco de Goya, 4 vols.ZaragozaCaja de Ahorros de Zaragoza, Aragón y Rioja1980-1982vol. III, p. 171
Goya’s Portratis of the Marqueses de Santiago and de san AdriánThe J. Paul Getty Museum Journal1985
Goya, la imagen de la mujerMadridMuseo Nacional del Prado y Fundación Amigos del Museo del Prado2001pp. 260 y 261 (il.), cat. 69