- Museum of Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
- 152 x 110 cm
- Técnica y soporte
- Oil on canvas
- Reconocimiento de la autoría de Goya
- Attributed work
- El Prado National Museum
- Ficha: realización/revisión
- 15 Feb 2010 / 14 Sep 2022
- en depósito
This work, together with its companion piece, Charles IV, entered the collection of the Prado Museum in 1911, from the Finance Ministry. From 1925 to 1961 they were both stored at the Museum of San Telmo, in San Sebastián, and were moved to the Museum of Zaragoza in 1972.
This is one of the replicas that Goya made of the portraits of King Charles IV and Queen María Luisa de Parma to mark the coronation of December 1788.
In this three-quarter-length portrait, María Luisa de Parma appears standing, life size. She is wearing blue French-style ceremonial dress, with a skirt and close-fitting bodice, both decorated with tulle, lace and needlework, and elbow-length sleeves which leave her forearms completely uncovered. The most striking element, however, is the headdress, which features feathers, ribbons and lace. In her right hand she is holding a closed fan. On her chest she wears the cross of the Order of Empress Maria Theresa of Austria. The background is decorated with greenish-coloured drapery, arranged diagonally, and on the table to the left rest the crown and the ermine robe, the royal symbols.
Some researchers have declared this painting to be a workshop piece, possibly with the intervention of Agustín Esteve.
Francisco de Goya. IV Centenario de la capitalidadorganized by Ayuntamiento de Madrid and Dirección General de Bellas Artes at the Casón del Buen RetiroMadrid1961consultant editor Valentín de Sambriciocat. LXXXI
Vie et ouvre de Francisco de GoyaParísOffice du livre1970p. 98, cat. 284
Las parejas reales de Goya. Retratos de Carlos IV y María Luisa de ParmaZaragozaReal Academia de Nobles y Bellas Artes de San Luis1997cat. 18, p. 25